Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year Resolution

I started this blog, not really knowing what I was going to write about. I have had many suggestions from friends and family and I liked them all so I have decided to write about everything. Maybe that's a bad choice and maybe my blog will look like hodge-podge of a page but I'm ok with that.
New Year's for me has always been about looking back to where I've been and then looking ahead to the future. Of course with every new year come a list of resolutions, a list of things that you would like to improve on or change. Though none of mine fall into the generic things like, "tame the bulge" or "quit smoking", I have made a list. And yes, you guessed it, blogging was one of them! The goal: 52 posts within the next 365 days. That should give me roughly 1 post per week. Wish me luck!

January 5, 2011
This month is going to be CRAZY!
Daniel has been in school since August of 2010 for EMT-Basic (EMT-B) and his semester is complete at the end of this month. He is taking night classes, hence the weird schedule. His classes are every Tuesday and Thursday night from 6-10. Sometimes those hours drag on and on for him but for the most part he enjoys EMT and does excellent in class. His final test for the National Registry is February 1st. He must complete a written test and then also be able to complete a hands-on test. The hands-on test will consist of a board of people explaining to Daniel a particular emergency situation and Daniel must go step-by-step in great detail as how to proceed. There's over 20 emergency situations that Daniel needs to know and each one has multiple steps to it. It sounds very intense and mentally demanding.
Along with EMT-B Daniel is picking up another class that starts tonight and will extend into February. This class is Anatomy and Physiology for Emergency Care. It is a very intense course because it fits everything about every human system into 2 months. Daniel will have a quiz or a test every class period and will be expected to memorize the entire anatomy of the human body.
On top of all this homework and school Daniel will continue to work a full time in residential construction. Thankfully, the winter months have been kind for the most part and the work has kept him busy.

I, on the other hand, try my best to keep busy too. I am currently in school part-time studying Health Information Management (HIM) which is just a fancy way of saying "patient records". All my classes are online so that means I can make my own schedule. This option however usually gets me into trouble because I am notorious for procrastinating halfway through the semester. Yes, this improvement/change is on my "New Year's Resolutions" list. This semester I am taking a pathology class and a HIM computer class. Both of which I already have my books thanks to my wonderful Grandpa and Sophie.
I am also working as a receptionist downtown. It is only part-time but I love it! (I am free to do my homework in between phone calls) I am currently looking for another part-time job as well.

On our free-time (oh such irony), usually evenings when Daniel isn't in class and Saturdays, Daniel and I volunteer with a local search and rescue organization. We are learning how to train our German Shepherd Dogs in search and rescue (SAR) and hopefully each of us will be a certified team by July. Yet another New Year's resolution! 

As you can see we are very busy, but I think the worst thing about this whole month is that all of this must be accomplish by 4 wheels. Yes, one car, to get from point A to point B to point C etc. (x2) 
The in-laws are really going to be sick of car-pooling us by the time this month is up!

We will serve the Lord,
Daniel & Kelsey Rowan

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey,

    I have been wondering what has been going on with you guys, I am glad you started the blog! I am happy for you both, it seems you are following your dreams. The SAR team sounds amazing! What a wonderful way to serve the community!

    ReplyDelete